21 Sep OAFI HOSTS THE II INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS FOR OA PATIENTS
- 300 million people suffer from osteoarthritis all over the world, a figure that has doubled in the past 30 years affecting also the younger population. Obesity, aging, and sports as running or football are among the main causes of this increase.
- In Spain, the osteoarthritis creates an annual expense of 4.738 billion euros. Management and health policies still do not give an adequate response to the needs of patients.
- On the occasion of the international day of the rheumatic diseases, Barcelona will host the International Congress of Patients with Arthrosis. New treatments, the impact of the disease on sexual life and in sport or why the joints hurt when it rains are some of the topics in agenda
The 2nd International Meeting of Osteoarthritis Patients, organised by the OAFI, the Osteoarthritis International Foundation, will be held on 9 and 10 October 2018 in the Axa Auditorium in Barcelona, as part of the International Day for Rheumatic Diseases (12 October). The event will be free and open to the general public.
This annual international event, which focuses on osteoarthritis patients, is a meeting place for patients, medical experts, scientific societies, public administrations, research and development centres and other entities involved with osteoarthritis.
The sessions are aimed at informing, raising awareness and training on the best practices for the prevention, research and treatment of this pathology which affects 300 million people worldwide. On this occasion, the Congress will focus, with the patient as the central protagonist, on key issues and scientific innovations in osteoarthritis and related chronic diseases, with special emphasis on strategies based on scientific evidence.
Specific lectures with a holistic approach will talk about prevention and specific treatments for the different groups of patients affected by osteoarthritis: women, sportspeople and the elderly.
World-renowned experts, institutions, bodies and patient associations in the field of osteoarthritis will attend the Congress to ensure that it is equally successful as the first edition.
The program will also feature activities such as:
- Santiago Niño-Becerra, with a masterclass called: “Liability: the new requirement of social protection”.
- Venerable Thubten Wangchen, a Buddhist monk and founder of the House of the Tibet in Barcelona, will give a talk about “How to be happy in everyday life: we have potential to transform and accept our pain and suffering in positive to increase our happiness and peace”.
- Tomás Molina, head of meteorology of TV3 will answer to the question “Why our joints hurt when it rains?
- Xesco Espar: coach and first-class sports trainer, will explain relevant aspects from the point of view of a professional coach.
- Other activities: outdoor Tai Chi session, ultrasound measurement of joints condition, evaluate joint movement, among many other practical workshops.
- important scientific developments in the treatment and prevention of osteoarthritis will also be presented.
- A special focus will be given to topics such as pain, sex, sport, and women health.
Click here to see the event program:
The event will be free and will take place on the 9th and 10th of October in the Barcelona Auditori Axa (L’illa Diagonal).
Book your ticket: http://bit.ly/2wiiFx2